Thursday, June 27, 2013

Late June update

I suppose a good bloggy writer would find a bloggy photographer and put in some pics of the gardens, but.......maybe later.

I recently returned from a 16 day vacation, coupled with the bad weather of May, early June was a terrible time to go on a vacation, garden-wise.  Motorcycle-wise, it was nearly perfect.  All the gardens look pretty good, except mine....mine is covered with grass, clover, and weeds...and not much is growing well except for those pests.  Oh, ok, the peppers and tomatoes are looking pretty good, and I could have harvested a pepper tonight, but I don't know if it's done yet.

Kim has really gotten the kids involved with the children's plot, they've got a lot of stuff planted and interest level seems to remain pretty high.  I wonder if she could turn them loose on my garden?

Right before I left, I planted a couple short rows of peas, some squash and tried to mulch with some hay.  The peas are growing, and looking pretty good, I hope it doesn't get too warm for them. 

I'm not sure what is going on with the squash, I think I've got a couple going, not real sure what it looks like at this stage.  :)

I delivered a water barrel to the garden tonight, and was surprised to hear coming from across the street a drum solo which could only have been inspired by Animal, from the Muppets.  What that guy lacks in skill, he makes up with cymbals. What a terrible thing to have to listen to every day or 2; I feel sorry for the neighbors.  Thankfully he stopped shortly after I arrived.  

I'm curious to see what the gardeners do with the water barrel.  It has 2 threaded bungs on the top, maybe 3", maybe a little smaller.  The bung can be altered to accept a smaller pipe fitting, which could of course be converted to hose thread.

There you go, a pic of my garden from early June, right after I put up the fence. The area from the bottom of the pic to the hay bale is pretty much solid grass; I may have to borrow Dick's little tiller to chew that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment