This property has sat unused except for being mowed a few times a year for about 7 years, so the grass has lots of roots. So Dick bought a TroyBilt tiller and measured off the plots and tilled each one several times.
He then raked the sod clods to the edges. We'll shovel up and pile the grass in a pile and call it a compost heap to make more dirt for our garden plots.
It is amazing the number of rocks and bricks that have been unearthed; actually the amount of stuff found will impress even my wife's mother in law.
For example, I brought home an exhaust valve.
A neighbor to the garden, Brandon, has been over with his metal detector, but I don't know what treasures he's found. I hope to get a list or a picture soon.
We'll use the rocks and bricks to hold up any barrel gardens or water barrels we have on site; reusing and repurposing things is a great way to recycle them.
I've seen some glass and a battery, so I took a bucket over to contain the trash, and a bucket to hold the bricks and rocks while raking the sod clods. Both are full of water right now, and some snow, probably.
Along the west neighbor's garage, there's some stinging/burning nettles...until we get those taken care of, do be careful, and esp keep your kids safe. Vinegar is probably the best neutralizer for them.
Speaking of snow, I'm tired of it and ready for spring and summer. Are you?
He then raked the sod clods to the edges. We'll shovel up and pile the grass in a pile and call it a compost heap to make more dirt for our garden plots.
It is amazing the number of rocks and bricks that have been unearthed; actually the amount of stuff found will impress even my wife's mother in law.
For example, I brought home an exhaust valve.
A neighbor to the garden, Brandon, has been over with his metal detector, but I don't know what treasures he's found. I hope to get a list or a picture soon.
We'll use the rocks and bricks to hold up any barrel gardens or water barrels we have on site; reusing and repurposing things is a great way to recycle them.
I've seen some glass and a battery, so I took a bucket over to contain the trash, and a bucket to hold the bricks and rocks while raking the sod clods. Both are full of water right now, and some snow, probably.
Along the west neighbor's garage, there's some stinging/burning nettles...until we get those taken care of, do be careful, and esp keep your kids safe. Vinegar is probably the best neutralizer for them.
Speaking of snow, I'm tired of it and ready for spring and summer. Are you?


No comments:
Post a Comment